GoTo Meeting: Join a Meeting
1: Log in to start (IT can provide staff with login credentials)
In order to use the desktop app to host a meeting, you'll need to log in using your GoToMeeting username (email address) and password.
- If you are trying to start your own meeting and end up in the Hallway (shown on the right), click Sign in now to enter your organizer credentials and launch the meeting.
- Note that your attendees don't need to log in to join your meeting (with the exception of password-protected meetings).
2: Set up your audio
When you first join, you'll be prompted to choose which method you'd like to use to listen to the meeting audio.
- Select Computer audio to use your computer's mic and speakers.
- Select Phone call to use your telephone to dial in to the audio conference.
Once you're in the session, you will see your audio controls on the Audio tab. You can switch audio modes at any time.
3: Mute & unmute
Control your audio using the Audio button at the top of your Control Panel or Grab Tab, which will glow green when you are unmuted and others can hear you. You'll see a Mic icon for Computer audio, or a Phone icon for phone call audio.
You can also switch between Computer and Phone audio if needed by opening the Audio pane in the Control Panel.
4: Manage attendees
The Attendees pane lets you see all the participants in your meeting and gives you access to GoToMeeting controls.
Click the Arrow icon next to any participant's name to see all options, including the following:
5: Invite others
All that your attendees need to join the meeting is the Join URL or the 9-digit meeting ID. You can quickly see and copy these things to your clipboard in the following places:
- In the Attendees pane, click Invite at the bottom right. This will open the Invite People window, where you can copy the URL or generate an email invitation.
- Click the Meeting ID text at the very bottom of the Control Panel. This will open a drop-down menu with multiple options for sending info to your attendees.
6: Share your webcam
Smile! You can start, pause and stop sharing your webcam all using the Webcam icon in your Control Panel or Grab Tab.
Want to preview your webcam feed first? We know that you want to look your best! Just open the Webcam pane in your Control Panel (shown on the right). You will instantly see a preview of your webcam feed on the Webcam tab.
7: Share your screen
You can share your screen or even a specific application with the other attendees in the meeting. Use the Screen button in your Control Panel or Grab Tab to quickly start and stop sharing the screen of your main monitor.
» Open the Screen tab to see additional options:
- Use the Start sharing my drop-down menu to share a different monitor or even a specific application (such as Powerpoint).
- Use the Change Presenter to menu to transfer the presenter controls to another person.
- Use the Share keyboard & mouse with menu to allow other attendees to control the mouse and keyboard on the screen you are sharing.
8: Chat with others
The Control Panel includes a Chat pane where you can exchange messages with other attendees. You'll see message notifications appear if your Control Panel is minimized to the Grab Tab.
Use the To drop-down menu to select your recipients:
- Select Everyone to send a public message to all participants.
- Select Organizer(s) only to send a message only to organizers and co-organizers.
- Select a specific individual to send a private message to just that person.
9: Record your meeting
GoToMeeting allows you to record your meetings (including shared screens and audio) and convert them to a shareable format. This allows you to easily share past meetings with others. Learn more.
- Click Record this meeting at the bottom of the Control Panel to get started.
- Once your meeting is over, the Recording Manager will automatically prompt you to convert the recording.
10: Minimize to Grab Tab
To save valuable space on your computer screen, you can collapse the full Control Panel into a small Grab Tab that will automatically "cling" to the sides of your screen. Use the Arrow icons to collapse and expand the Control Panel.
- Retain easy access to the Audio, Screen and Webcam buttons.
- Get new chat notifications when messages come in.
- Click the Attendees or Chat icons to expand only those panes.
11: Explore other tools
The GoToMeeting menu offers additional features and tools for you to use during you session, including checking your sound, saving your chat log and configuring your application preferences.
To access the drop-down menu, click GoToMeeting at the top of your Control Panel.
Edit your name and email
Change the display language
12: Need more help?
Need some more help getting the most out of GoToMeeting? See these additional resources to learn more.
Why can't I download the software?
Having some installation issues? There are a few different things that might be preventing you from downloading the GoToMeeting desktop software.
- Check your system's compatibility. Your computer's operating system must meet certain requirements in order to run the software. Make sure yours doesn't have any limitations on our System Check page.
- Try again and watch out for permissions requests. In order for GoToMeeting to properly install itself on your computer, you have to grant it permission to access your system. The ways in which you'll be asked to do so will vary depending on your web browser and operating system, so click your Join link again and then select the article that applies to you below.
I joined the meeting, but it looks different than the images above.
GoToMeeting offers multiple methods for getting into session to make sure that you are able to join whenever and wherever you want. This particular guide applies to the GoToMeeting desktop app for Windows computers. If it doesn't look the same as what you see on your screen, please select one of the following.
Q: Did you join with a mobile device?
Q: Did you join from a Mac computer?
Q: Did you join from a Windows computer, but it looks different than what's shown above?